I love this time of year; Winter is around the corner with snowy evenings to spend with
friends and holiday parties to plan. I try to settle my anxiety of the hustle and bustle and focus on what is really important – family, friends, laughter and reflection. I am so grateful for many things in my life and one of them is having found my niche in the world of work.
Here are my suggestions for caring for your skin during the cold weather ahead and a glimpse into keeping your skin sparkling through what can be a stressful and busy time of year.
- During the winter the temperatures drop as well as the humidity and the winds pick up. This combination can wreak havoc on the skin.
- Most notably your skin struggles to stay moist during the extreme winter conditions. This is known as `trans epidermal water loss` – this can happen to all skin types.
- Consider a creamy cleanser as opposed to a foaming cleanser at this time of year.
- Look for anti-inflammatory moisturizing ingredients when building a winter skincare routine.
- Some good natural ingredients are calendula, comfrey, Shea butter, jojoba and rosehip oils as well as glycerin.
- Another absolutely key ingredient to combat dehydration is hyaluronic. Hyaluronic acid is found naturally in our skin and surrounding our joints, it can hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water. As we age we produce less hyaluronic acid.
- Look for topical products with this ingredient to boost hydration and plump up skin cells.
The winter is also a great time to consider a series of corrective peels either to help with fine lines, hyperpigmentation, overall skin texture or to help clear acne. Don’t ignore eczema/psoriasis and rosacea flare-ups. One is especially vulnerable to these uncomfortable conditions during the winter. Make sure not to ignore the importance of hydrating, soothing and comforting ingredients during the harsh weather.
Finally, don’t forget to use your sunblock even though sunny warm days seem like a distant memory.
Diane Higgins Skin Care products that work beautifully in the Winter:
- Organic Lavender Cleansing Milk (deeply cleans and gently exfoliates)
- Artisanal Cleansing Balm (super comforting and cleansing)
- Ultra Soy Peptide Cream, 02 Rejuvenating Cream, Willow Serum (all great sources of hyaluronic acid)
- Shea Body Butter (deeply moisturizing)
- Coconut/Coco Butter (excellent for eczema flare ups)
- Diane’s Best Lip Balm (homegrown organic comfrey infused balm so your lips never chap)